What sort of insurance will you need?

The types of insurance required will vary according to the event and you should seek expert advice. Again, making decisions about insurance cover is about weighing up issues of cost and relative risk.

Examples of cover you might require are:

Public liability - protects against claims for accidental bodily injury or damage to property of a third party should the policy holder be found liable. This may not cover volunteers. Separate cover may need to be investigated for them as they cease being the ‘public’ once they step over the threshold to volunteer.

Worker’s compensation - protects against claims for injury to employees as a result of a workplace accident

Professional indemnity - protects against claims for professional negligence to a third party should the policy holder be found liable. This is especially important if you are giving advice, instructing or engaging groups in physical activity.

Property - covers risk of fire and theft of goods and equipment
Duck for Cover

This is a non-profit group that seeks reasonable cover for people engaged in the performance industry but you will need to join as a member.

Action Entertainment Insurance
Phone 1300 655 424

Specialist Event and Entertainment Insurance Brokers.

AON Australia
Phone 1300 309 797

AON Australia has been engaged by the Queensland Government to provide advice and information to the not-for-profit community sector on insurance and risk management related issues, including Public Liability and Association Liability insurance. AON Australia assists organisations to access competitive and appropriate insurance products.

The Queensland Government has passed legislation to help address the affordability and availability of insurance, principally the Civil Liability Act 2003 (Qld). Of particular interest to not-for-profit organisations will be the provisions relating to protection afforded to volunteers under this Act.